Dash Incubator 2023 Q1
???Dash Incubator 2023 Q1
3-month funding proposal to the Dash Network.
This proposal continues Dash Incubator's ongoing quarterly report and request. We are requesting 1,000 DASH/month this quarter, as planned in our previous 2022 Q4 proposal. See section 3 for budgeting details.
1 Incubator Updates
Figure 1a below shows Incubator's high-level funding rates. The blue series is our superblock requests, all of which have been funded so far. The red series shows rewards paid to incubator contributors, averaged into monthly rates for each quarter.
Figure 1a - Reward and request rates over time???
2 Project Updates and Outlook
The incubator distributed 2,420 DASH in rewards to 21 different projects over the past quarter (2022 Q4). Figures 2a and 2b below show the breakdown of all rewarded projects. The proposal submission fee is included in order to fully account for all Dash spent.
Figure 2a - Reward allocation by project
Figure 2b - Reward list by strategist and project
???2.1 Rion Gull
I want Dash to be the premier free-market money. For that, we need tools that make it easy for developers and end users to use Dash - both for spending and saving. ???Hence, of the 1462.6 DASH awarded in Q4 from my budget, the vast majority (72%) of that went towards our ???Payment Tools??? and Crowdnode Tools??? projects ???(see Figure 2d above). This was my strategic focus last quarter (Q4) and the quarter before (Q3), and it will continue to be a priority for me this coming quarter (Q1).
Our Payment Tools project aims to help with the above concern. We want to allow web apps to integrate Dash payments with small, fast, and secure dependencies, something most respectable developers demand. Once fully developed, we can possibly use these packages to replace some of the bloated dependencies in the `dash` SKD.
This past quarter we created an organization on npm.org (the main software package repository on the web). We have four packages so far and plan to add more this quarter. You can find them by searching for @dashincubator??? on npm.org's search page???. Currently, all our published packages are from @coolaj86, but packages from other Incubator developers can be added if they meet quality standards. Our main purpose here is to create and host packages with few, if any, 3rd party dependencies. None of our existing packages have 3rd party dependencies and despite being very useful, all are very small (7.0 kB for ??????secp256k1???, 2.1 kB for base58check???, 2.1 kB for blocktx and 1.6 kB for ???ripemd160???).
The remaining 28% of allocated budget this quarter was awarded to seven relatively smaller projects (this quarter). Feel free to ask any questions you may have about them in the comments below.
2.2 Ash Francis
???In Q4 2022 Ash funded the following Bounties:
During the upcoming quarter Ash intends to work on the following projects and tasks:
- Rust Dash RPC Client??? - Porting a Go based RPC client for L1 to Rust. This work remains ongoing.
- Summoners Dash Platform Game??? - A turn based strategy game that allows bets by players on outcome with data stored on platform and use of L1 for transactions. This project is progressing well with the game taking shape. A playable demo should be ready shortly.
- Reference Dash Platform Extension??? - A project to build a proof of concept extension to facilitate dapp onboarding. This project is going well with the extension & communication layer scaffolded and the beginnings of a dapp JS library.
- DashPay Wallet (Incubator)??? - A full wallet with chat features and more to be the production implementation of the reference extension above. The focus has been onboarding a new developer with this platform and building a toolset to compliment its development (Dash Chum).
- DashPay Core Extension Wallet??? - An extension wallet spun out from Dash core, focused on L1 features. This now has full transactional capability.
2.3 Tim Munsell
- Rust Dash RPC Client??? - Completion of this project
- Summoners Dash Platform Game??? - Release of a playable demo followed by a testnet betting based version (extension dependent)
- Reference Dash Platform Extension??? - Getting this to Proof of Concept stage which is a testnet implementation with a reference dapp handshake & transactions.
- DashPay Wallet??? - The UX for this being refactored into the latest ionic version (and React).
- DashPay Core Extension Wallet??? - Completion of this project as a full L1 extension wallet (and a useful reference project).
- Influencer Affiliate Site??? - A data site for influencers to earn money (and payouts in Dash). Tim intends to get this site to MVP and launch in this quarter.
- Governance Portal??? - Work is now recommencing on this project, Tim intends to work towards an MVP release this quarter.
- THORChain Integration??? - This core part of this work is completed, only maintenance is required to keep the PR up to date ready for merge.
In Q4 Tim funded the following bounties:
- Dashmate Bug Fixes, Improvements & Innovations??? - This is an ongoing bounty to support ongoing development, improvements, fixes, etc. for Dashmate. Status: ongoing The bulk of Q4 activity was the beginning of a project to migrate dash-deploy to dashmate - this is ~25% complete.Q1 2023 will see continued progress. There isn't a completion ETA.
- Local Money??? - This is a dash "onramp" designed to facilitate p2p Dash to fiat exchanges providing the ability to seek, find, and execute trades. Status: ~20% complete. In Q4 the MVP features, functions, and user flows were defined. Q1 2023 will see UX development, and depending on timing, initial code deployment as well.
- Read Investments Data from Blockchain??? - This will create a public facing place users can quickly search and reference the history of proposals to MNOs. This will include light data manipulation capabilities and include csv download of project and funding daa for further local analysis. Status: ~50% complete. In Q4 the progress toward complete was minimal consisting mostly of QA of and Spec work for next steps. Q1 2023 will see code development from UX design and the deployment of data extraction, manipulation, and visualization functionality.The biggest risk/difficulty is and has been that the primary contributors are located in Ukraine.
- Dash Core Contributions??? - This is an ongoing bounty that rewards Dash for merged PRs to the Dash Core repo??? on Github to any non-DCG developers. This bounty is administered by Pasta. Status: ongoing. In Q4 a couple medium sized PRs were awarded.
- Goal/Challenge Platform??? - This is a dapp utilizing Platform smart contract capabilities to create bet-on-yourself games or challenges. Users can create, find, join, and complete games wagering Dash on their individual success. Status: uncertain - development was recently restarted after the previous contributors withdrew from contributing to the incubator. Several components are now out of date with the current platform deployment. In Q4 development was restarted and progress has been fixing elements that had fallen out of date. Q1 2023 should see new progress and depending on pace, completion of the MVP in late Q1 or Q2.
- Interactive Dash Ecosystem Webpage??? - This was an inherited bounty, and is nearing completion. This is closely related to the infographic (above). It is the "presentation layer" presenting the infographic for easy display and navigation in a web browser across multiple languages. You can see the infographic, available interactions, and hosting environment here???. Status: unknown - We have no response from the contributors yet about how complete this is. In Q4 was the QA of local language options and Specification for a function that "enables the creation of direct links to a specific infographic. It allows dash.org (among others) to forward a visitor to a specific infographic in a preferred language". Q1 2023 will see continued progress and development for the new functionality that was specified (in QA now)
- Influencer Affiliate Site??? - This was a concept Tim accepted on behalf of Ash and has since handed to him. Status: handed off
- Dash Incubator Getting Started??? - This ongoing bounty rewards various activities for introducing and onboarding new contributors. Status: ongoing. In Q4 the contribution was a referred contributor. This bounty might need reviewing. It is likely there are contributors eligible for rewards and unaware.
- Dash Ecosystem Infographic - This was an inherited bounty, and is nearing completion. This is a graphical representation of the entire Dash ecosystem for quick reference. Link to the current state is below. Status: ongoing as the ecosystem evolves. Q4 progress was the QA of local language updates (Russian)
During the upcoming quarter Tim expects to fund progress across most of the bounties funded last quarter. He expects his top priorities to be:
- Atomic Swaps??? - The MVP is near completion, needing some final QA and a functionality. The future state is uncertain, but my goals is get it across the line and decide "what next" later.
- Goal/Challenge Platform??? - This MVP has more development, depending on pace we hope we can have a release by early Q2. This should be an easy, socially shareable, means of introducing new user to Dash and even crypto in general.
- Decentralized Dynamic Application Infrastructure??? - Same status as the above. There should be tremendous opportunity with this bounty to give developers a quick means of building on Platform.
- Dashmate Bug Fixes, Improvements & Innovations??? - This caries the endorsement and priority from critical developers within the Dash ecosystem.
- Platform Console??? - This bounty has been picked up by emmanualeclipse. It is to create a Dash Platform wallet, identity, username, contract, and document all from a web browser with no coding required.
3 Schedule and Budgeting
This proposal continues our typical 3-month funding proposal cadence.
Figure 3a shows the Incubator’s historical and current proposal submissions. We are requesting 1,000 DASH/month for 3 months, as planned in our previous Q4 proposal.
Figure 3a - Incubator budget requests
Figure 3b below breaks down this budget planning for the following quarter (3 months shown in the table). I'm including this table and a detailed explanation of it to help everyone understand our new budgeting and award system. This table can always be accessed in our Accounting spreadsheet (???it may be omitted in future proposals).
Figure 3b - Strategist reserve planning
Some notes from the figure:
According to the above assumptions and calculations, by the end of the quarter we expect to have the following buffers:
- Columns A and B indicate the source and destination of external and internal budget requests.
- Column E shows the current reserves in each account. along with the current (as of this writing) total of ???3,672 DASH in cell E3.
- Column F shows the Incubator request of 1,000 DASH/month along with each strategist's internal quarterly budget request.
- Column G shows proposal delegations (i.e. 900 DASH from the Incubator general to riongull, 400 DASH from riongull to other strategists).
- Column H shows each strategist's projected output (rewards paid to Incubator contributors).
- Column I shows delegation/oversight commissions (10%, and currently applicable only to the lead strategist, but potential for other strategists in the future).
- Column J shows strategist admin commissions (20%, applicable to all strategists and shared with admins if used for certain projects).
- Column K is the sum of I and J.
- Column L is the surplus or deficit of each account/fund, based on requests, delegations, and outputs.
- Column M is the sum of E and L, representing the projected end-of-month balance.
- Column N is the projected buffer for each account/fund (including overall total in rows 3, 13, and 23).
We're glad to have more green and less red overall for this quarter's projections, but we'd like to raise each buffer to around 6 months over time.
- 3.2 month buffer overall (up from 2.7 months from last quarter)
- 2+ month buffers for each strategist (up from less than 2 month buffers for each strategist last quarter)
Terms and Closing
All operations of the Incubator funded by this proposal are subject to our current Rules. This proposal forms a part of our Network Contract with Dash. Our rules are always subject to and defer to MNO voting.
Thank you, masternode voters, for your support! As always, I'm very excited about this quarter and what we will accomplish.